Friday, February 18, 2005

Debating Atheism (part 1)

Theomorph has written on his blog about the debate. After reading the comments he made here, I thought I would entertain a little discussion. Here is my response to his review of the debate and for now it can serve as my post about the debate. I will hopefully have time this weekend to write more in depth about some of the arguments.

From the other side of the fence (I'm a Christian) I have some differing viewpoints on the debate. I will admit that Dacey was a more personable and likable guy (very quickwitted) with his style. He came off as genuine (although very flustered in the rebuttals) while Craig was too stern. I also agree that the Q&A was a joke, and didn't add any clarity to either positions. The Q&A did bring up something that Craig didn't argue which is the moral argument. That is one of the better arguments against Atheism and should have been in his intro. rather than his cosmological arguments which I doubt anyone really understood.

During Craig's introduction I was afraid he was going to talk over everyones heads, but his rebuttals were far more cohesive and prepared than Dacey's. Craig always followed up his statements with examples, so I think you just weren't writing fast enough. When the transcript is available it will show that he doesn't just make blanket statements like, "you just don't understand" or "it's clearly true". He always followed up with his reasoning. Regardless of how abrasive his wording was, he never let those statements speak for themselves.

As far as the lady who told Craig he was being judgmental in his arguments, I don't know how she could say that. Granted the audiences reaction was uncalled for and over-the-top, but why would she ask that? She was trying to attack his character, when a debate calls for the debater to attack his opponents arguments. I could have easily said the same thing about Dacey claiming that Christian beliefs are not reasonable (when that was the whole point of him being there). Craig simply made light of her harsh critique of his character by pointing out that her own statements were judgmental. Why is she seen as the victim here?

As far as your question for Craig...I think he would have turned it around by asking you the same thing. He would not have been sucked into claiming you are an irrational or ignorant person. He would have givin you the opportunity to say that of him. So what is it? Am I naive, fearful and desperate for something to hope for, or just blindly accepting the faith of my parents?

I would ask you a question that hopefully, you can respond to better than Dacey did. Why do my teachers say I'm from Apes? I don't look like an ape...just kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home