Monday, February 14, 2005

A Critique of Atheism (Part 1)

This Critique of Atheism series comes from an essay I turned in for my philosophy class last summer.

I am fully aware that writing an essay which attempts to prove the existence of God using only reason and rationality in some way is an attempt at the impossible. To try to use reason to prove the existence of God is not an easy task, to say the least. In fact, the very Bible I believe in tells me that to speak of "spiritual" things using "man's wisdom" will sound like "foolishness." 1 Corinthians 2:13-14 states:
These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
With this in mind, it is not my endeavor to write an essay that has the ability to persuade someone of something that ultimately requires faith. Some of the early philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle attempted to do this without much rational success. My goal is much less complicated than proving the existence of God using philosophical methods. My motive is simply to prove that atheist's find themselves in the same position as theist's, requiring an element of faith, when their belief, or lack of belief, is critiqued with reason, rationality, and logic.

Read part 2 here and part 3 here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home