Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Calvin Challenge: Without knowledge of self there is no knowledge of God

"Indeed, our very poverty better discloses the infinitude of benefits reposing in God." (I.i.1)
We cannot grasp the richness of God until we accept our poorness. When I was younger it was explained to me that the closer I get to God the more I realize my wickedness. The analogy of a flashlight was given. If God is the flashlight, as I walk toward Him I begin to see more blemishes in my own life. His light shines on the areas of my life that were dark and covered.

Isn't it true that the longer you have been a growing Christian the more you realize your imperfections? If we attempt to come to God without acknowledging our own weakness we will fail to comprehend our need for Him to save us. We will probably have some ulterior motive for coming to God that results in greater separation rather than reconciliation.
"Thus, not only will we, in fasting and hungering, seek thence what we lack; but, in being aroused by fear, we shall learn humility." (I.i.1)
Calvin declares that when we truly know ourselves, we will see the wickedness and darkness that has been present all along. We will realize our emptiness. Emptiness will lead to fear then humility as we determine the depth of our need. Humility is the attitude God wants us to have when we come to Him (1Pet.1:5).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home