Friday, February 11, 2005

God and Country

Matthew 15:8-9 "This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."
I can't help but wonder if conservative Americans don't fall into this category. It seems, sometimes, that we place a higher priority on fighting for Bushs' cause than for Christ's. I can easily get sidetracked myself when talking about current events becomes more common than talking about God.

I realize the verse above directly refers to the Pharisees and scribes who were so focused on being obedient to their own rules and man-made regulations that they had lost the main objectives of Scripture. But, are we any better today? The Pharisees were more concerned about what went into their mouths than what came out (Matt.5:11). They clearly missed the forrest for the trees. Do we not make a similar mistake when we become more concerned about how President Bush represents us as Americans, then how we represent Christ as His followers?
Psalm 20:7 "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home