Monday, December 20, 2004

My Christmas Prayer

Dear Lord,

It is amazing to look back on all that has happened in our lives this year. We have so much to be thankful for!

At times, I am concerned that things are going too well. It can be a dangerous place to be when lifes challenges are not as pressing as they have been in the past. Complacency is always one step behind growth. I can start to think it is something in me that is causing life to go so smoothly rather than acknowledging Your grace. I start to think that I deserve the blessings I've been given. At that moment I give myself the glory instead of You. I so easily forget the One that I serve, the reason I'm here, and the source of "every good gift and every perfect gift."

For Carrie and I, our life's puzzle is far from complete. It seems like we're still at the starting line of our marriage. I am greatly looking forward to the future we have together. A path sure to be filled with ups and downs, yet gradually growing closer to You! I still choke up whenever I think about our wedding and the song that so encompassed our desire, Jesus Lover of My Soul. "All this is for You" the song says, and I know that our hearts were, and still are, singing in agreement. At times, I have lost that focus, but graciously You have blessed me with a wife who doesn't allow me to wander for long. She has strengthened and encouraged me in so many ways. I am thankful to have someone by my side who desires to be a partner in ministry. And someone who continually reminds me that ministry begins with the home. As a wife, her love is amazing. As a mother, her love is tender and beautiful. Always caring, always sacrificing, always training, always giving, and always persevering. She works tirelessly at home and it is never more evident than when I have to take care of Maddie by myself for a day. I get off easy having an 8-5 job. Thank You for bringing Carrie into my life.

I'm also extremely grateful for the wonderful daughter we have. Madelynn Paige is still so young and innocent. We keep waiting for the hard part of this parenting thing to take us by storm. It's just such a blessing to love and care for her. She is so smart, so bright and cheery. She is growing up so fast and I pray that we don't take this time with her right now for granted.

Our year was not without it's pain. Yet, even in the midst of discovering that Carrie had a miscarriage back in July, You were faithful. The comfort we received during that time was a beautiful picture of Isaiah 42:3 "a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench." We were able to trust in You all the more with our lives knowing that Your ways are perfect. And in Your exact timing, Carrie has become pregnant again.

Thank You for the gift of life. Thank You for the gift of pain. Thank You for the gift of Your Son who experienced both between Christmas and Good Friday. May we be faithful parents in raising up our children to know Your many blessings. May they understand the true meaning of Christmas and glorify You with their lives. ~Amen~

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN AND AMEN!
Surfed in from BE.
So sorry to hear about your miscarriage. We definately know how that feels but we are also blessed that God brought us through the pain of 6 miscarriages and chose to bless us with our two beautiful children.
Hula Doula
http://www.huladoula.thezeroboss.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home