Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Prayer of Jabez

I just finished reading The Prayer of Jabez a couple of days ago. The book has been out since 2001 but I always had a negative view of it. The idea that we should pray to God for blessings didn't sit right with me. I felt like that was a selfish idea that only gives validity to the "health and wealth" gospel. The prayer of Jabez comes out of 1 Chronicles 4:10 "Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, 'Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!' And God granted what he asked." When you first read the prayer it almost sounds like it is inappropriate. All he is thinking about is himself! But when you read that "God granted" the request, you start to realize that maybe there is more to it.

Ultimately, the book is not about seeking blessings to get rich and live a peaceful life on earth. It is about living a life that is more honoring and glorifying to God. It is about taking risks for God. If God blesses you financially, it doesn't mean that He wants you to go out and blow it on the newest and shiniest car you can find. If He blesses you with health it doesn't mean you should never risk that health by visiting a 3rd world country and spending time with the "orphans and widows in their distress." If we are seeking to be Christlike, we will take the blessings that He bestows upon us and give to others in His Name.

I would encourage anyone to read it. It is a very small book that only takes a couple of hours to read (and that's for slow readers like me). What I got most out of it is a more earnest desire to seek to be used by God every day. I don't always think of ways that I can influence those around me for God's glory. The Prayer of Jabez reminds me to stay focused on God throughout the day and seek to be used wherever I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home